[wp-docs] Copyright and a new stub.

Carthik Sharma carthik at gmail.com
Sun Sep 18 17:03:21 GMT 2005

HI folks,

Pretty noisy here :)

On 9/18/05, Michael E. Hancock <michael at hancockdata.com> wrote:

> [...]

There is a copyright statement that I forged the last time something like
this came up - we thought it'd be a good idea to use the GPL for Codex
content too.

Isn't this the copyright statement?
> http://codex.wordpress.org/Codex:Copyrights

That's the one I put in place.

Since Podz has already 'made a copy of Codex' it seems the discussion is
> almost a moot point. Is his copy of Codex legal or illegal?

It is perfectly legal and valid.

All content on the Codex should be available freely, as this knowledge
belongs in the domain of the collective commons. Adaptation of the
information for a different purpose should be welcome as well.
I have pretty much stopped contributing effectively due to personal
pressures, and should it be that the stuff I contributed is irrevocably
mine, it would be funny if I wanted it all back - don't you think?

The hours I put into working on the documentation were justified (by me - to
myself) by the thought that what I was doing was not ephemeral, or
temporary, and that a little effort on my part will go a long way, with the
contributions of others.

Really, I don't know why re-use of documentation is such a big issue -- look
to the developers, who release their code out in the wild - to be used as
seens fit - for other to profit, if you will.

<personal opinion>
Knowledge is only valuable when it is shared "freely".
If someone wants to make a buck out of it, and not share the proceeds, then
little can be said except that it is no model behavior.
</personal opinion>

Personal contributions that folks dont want to share freely do not belong in
a public information resource.
Moot Point: It is not just you that contribute to the codex - the codex
contributes towards amplifying your effort too. If you
guide/howto/faq/whatever existed outside of the codex, in isolation - it
would be much less useful. It is a symbiotic relationship. The price you pay
to ensure a greater impact for your work is that it will be reshaped and
reused, probably for profit.

Carthik.
--
Ph.D. Candidate