[wp-docs] Copyright and a new stub.

Podz podz at tamba2.org.uk
Sun Sep 18 14:51:47 GMT 2005

Michael E. Hancock wrote:
> Add to that page manually has got to be a monumental waste of time and will
> never be accurate.  You're depending on the accuracy of the Codex files and
> I've seen glaring holes where logs and such have been lost.  It will also
> need updating every darn day!

I would rather have names there than none.

> Why the 'uproar'?  Isn't GPL good enough?  Podz, you've proved that anyone,
> anytime, can just make a copy of the Codex info.  If someone doesn't want to
> copy from Codex then they can copy from your files...

True, but I didn't do it to make a profit or make a book - I did it
precisely to prevent that happening.

> If someone takes Codex and makes a book, that can only be great for
> WordPress!  In fact, that effort probably should be encouraged rather than
> discouraged.

Only if everyone who has contributed is cool with that.

What I am completely failing to understand here is that people who screw
with WP code get all manner of crap rained down on them. WP is GPL yet
when a different version was released (around 1.2 time) certain people
were more than displeased about it.

Codex and the docs have put WordPress where it is as much as anything
else - and it seems that no-one wants to protect it in the same way the
code is.

P.