[wp-docs] Version specific banners for Codex

Kaf Oseo kaf at szub.net
Thu Sep 1 15:33:59 GMT 2005

Lorelle VanFossen wrote:
> We talked about the different ways to set version-specific areas and
> articles in the Codex. I and others have played around with various
> designs but I keep coming back to clean and simple, simple, simple. The
> key is clarity, easy identification and recognition, and keep the focus
> on the content. As one of the volunteers here said, we need to have
> these be an "attraction not a distraction".

Problem: Is a banner of this sort to be used within sections of a page,
or are we branching pages off to represent a new version if some change
occurs which causes the documentation to be out of date? We've all seen
features appear (or for a few template tag params, start to work) when
a new minor version is released. I'm not certain I understand how this
is expected to work in those cases.

> We also need to make a decision about using v1.6 or 1.5 (with v or
> without) in the titles and references to denote version.

Software documentation usually just references supported versions this
way:

	Applies to: 1.5.1, 1.5.1.x, 1.6

Naturally, this would be a very (very) difficult activity to maintain
on Codex (i.e. through MediaWiki). Certainly wouldn't work as a stub.

Anyway, I was lead to believe early on that it was decided Codex would
focus on documentation for the *current* release of WordPress (hence so
little attention paid to 1.2.x). Do plans for 1.5(.x) banners reverse
this?

-Kaf