[wp-docs] Re: [wp-hackers] Install/Upgrade Docs for 1.6 Release

Owen Winkler ringmaster at midnightcircus.com
Tue Oct 25 21:24:59 GMT 2005

Podz wrote:
> I have no idea of the db structure as such, but I know the above steps
> work - I've both done them and told others how to do them. I'd rather an
> extra step to be absolutely certain not to break a blog.
> If anyone wants to disprove that path, supply me with a b2 blog complete
> with posts, comments and a custom theme. I'll then do the work.

Well, I wrote the code to upgrade the DB, and I tested against every
version that was provided to me, including some WordPress version
numbered .72.  Whether files/templtes/themes break after the upgrade, I
can't say, but I know that you should be able to take a database
directly from .72 or after to at least 1.5.  I suspect that due to the
way the upgrade code works, it'll take it directly to 1.6, too.

>> /*
>> It's also worthwhile to note (this is probably better recorded in
>> Trac, but it's on my mind right now) that upgrading very large
>> databases from 1.2 to 1.5 doesn't always work.  There is a very
>> inefficient section of the upgrade code that does a query for every
>> post and comment to remove slashed quotes.  On large databases this
>> section easily times out.  The same would be true for an upgrade to
>> 1.6 from 1.2.
>> */
>

> I posted to Hackers recently about a 1.5.2 blog that will not complete
> on upgrade. 60meg+ db of JUST posts/comments. No stats, no junk, just
> blog stuff.

Same with the one I just did.
I have some code for that, if you need it.

> In these 'Web2.0' days, instructions of the like I will produce are not
> welcome - because they are not "1 - 2 - there is no 3 :) :) :)" type.

I think there is room in the world for high-impact documentation that
actually provides useful information.  See the attachment for what I
envisioned.

Owen