[wp-docs] Re: [wp-hackers] Install/Upgrade Docs for 1.6 Release

Podz podz at tamba2.org.uk
Tue Oct 25 18:38:59 GMT 2005

Owen Winkler wrote:
> Podz wrote:
>> The above does not take account of version skipping - you cannot go to
>> 1.6 from b2, or 1.0.1, or 1.2 each of which needs explaining.
>
> Really?  I mean, I expect that b2->1.6 wouldn't work, but 1.0.1 or 1.2?
>
> What extra steps need to take place to perform these upgrades?  Are we
> talking about templates/themes?  I'm curious, not skeptical.

I would advise:
b2.x > 1.0.2
1.0.2 > 1.2.2
1.2.2 > 1.5.2
 >1.6

I have no idea of the db structure as such, but I know the above steps
work - I've both done them and told others how to do them. I'd rather an
extra step to be absolutely certain not to break a blog.
If anyone wants to disprove that path, supply me with a b2 blog complete
with posts, comments and a custom theme. I'll then do the work.

> /*
> It's also worthwhile to note (this is probably better recorded in Trac,
> but it's on my mind right now) that upgrading very large databases from
> 1.2 to 1.5 doesn't always work.  There is a very inefficient section of
> the upgrade code that does a query for every post and comment to remove
> slashed quotes.  On large databases this section easily times out.  The
> same would be true for an upgrade to 1.6 from 1.2.
> */

I posted to Hackers recently about a 1.5.2 blog that will not complete
on upgrade. 60meg+ db of JUST posts/comments. No stats, no junk, just
blog stuff.

> I know a lot of effort has been made to produce instructions for
> commonly-requested WordPress functions, but don't these very basic
> things (installing, upgrading) merit specific, directed, illustrated,
> hand-holding documentation, perhaps also without the burden of the Codex
> navigation?

That's why I have my pages, and why 10,000 hits have been recorded so
far this month. I have long said that Codex for people who are unsure is
not a good thing. It IS a good thing for the confident, the coders, the
interested readers, but for problems I think it is poor. This isn't a
new view of mine, it's something I have said for a long time.

 > Certainly, the download page should link to such a set of
> instructions, and such a set of instructions could introduce the Codex
> resource upon completion.

The download needs clear directions, yes. Directions that is to "How to
Upgrade" - I don't RTFM, the majority of people who are reading this
probably don't either, but we are the tiny minority and to be honest the
people that will talk about this more in hackers are not the people
helping to mend blogs in the forums. They need the M.
I would love to think it would happen - it will not.
I - with the assiatnce of many testers - wrote the 1.2 > 1.5 guide, yet
this was what was in the download:

"Upgrading

Before you upgrade anything, make sure you have backup copies of any
files you may have modified such as index.php.
Upgrading from any previous WordPress to 1.5:

    1. Delete your old WP files, saving ones you've modified
    2. Upload the new files
    3. Point your browser to /wp-admin/upgrade.php
    4. You wanted more, perhaps? That's it!"

It was briefly mentioned that a Codex page may exist.
I asked many times for the guide to be pointed at - it was not given
prominence.
In these 'Web2.0' days, instructions of the like I will produce are not
welcome - because they are not "1 - 2 - there is no 3 :) :) :)" type.

P.