[wp-docs] Re: [wp-hackers] Install/Upgrade Docs for 1.6 Release

Owen Winkler ringmaster at midnightcircus.com
Tue Oct 25 18:08:11 GMT 2005

Podz wrote:
> The above does not take account of version skipping - you cannot go to
> 1.6 from b2, or 1.0.1, or 1.2 each of which needs explaining.

Really?  I mean, I expect that b2->1.6 wouldn't work, but 1.0.1 or 1.2?

What extra steps need to take place to perform these upgrades?  Are we
talking about templates/themes?  I'm curious, not skeptical.

/*
It's also worthwhile to note (this is probably better recorded in Trac,
but it's on my mind right now) that upgrading very large databases from
1.2 to 1.5 doesn't always work.  There is a very inefficient section of
the upgrade code that does a query for every post and comment to remove
slashed quotes.  On large databases this section easily times out.  The
same would be true for an upgrade to 1.6 from 1.2.
*/

> Believe me, if I didn't think it was needed, I wouldn't do it. And as I
> have said before, I'm not looking at this from someone who bleeds
> commandline code or can code anything anywhere. There is an unmet need
> for this - and Codex doesn't hit the spot for a lot of people.

I know a lot of effort has been made to produce instructions for
commonly-requested WordPress functions, but don't these very basic
things (installing, upgrading) merit specific, directed, illustrated,
hand-holding documentation, perhaps also without the burden of the Codex
navigation?  Certainly, the download page should link to such a set of
instructions, and such a set of instructions could introduce the Codex
resource upon completion.

X-Posted To:wp-docs

Owen