[wp-docs] WordPress Bug Hunt

Scott Merrill skippy at skippy.net
Wed Nov 2 15:22:08 GMT 2005

http://www.tamba2.org.uk/wordpress/xampp/

> My only question is whether this is the barrier to entry: "If you can't
> set up your own local Apache, thanks, but we're looking for someone more
> qualified."  Personally, I think that bug reporting from tyros is a good
> thing, since only having developers/insiders looking at things tends to
> leave holes.  If the barrier to entry is the ability to follow the XAMPP
> installation instructions, we might get more reports from a novice user
> perspective - a good thing.

I agree that we should encourage as many people as possible to
participate, which is why I've been specifically making it a point to
say that PHP experience is not a requirement.

Even if one can't install XAMPP, one can likely install a fresh 1.6 copy
into a sub-directory of their main site, using a different table prefix.

Speaking of which, we should probably provide a tarball snapshot of SVN,
so that someone can download that without having to muck around with SVN
first.  I'll make the snapshot Saturday, and host it through the day.

> And how did I get on the host list?  Not a problem, but someone might
> have told me if I have such obligations.  Are you guys going to code and
> manage incoming folks?

You were there when I went to edit, and I left you there.  =)  There's
no obligation, and no hard feelings if you'd prefer to have your name
removed.  I completely understand if you'd prefer to focus on coding.

My current plan is this: find out what a participant is capable of, and
what they want to do.  For those who have no coding experience, assign
to them the open bugs with patches that need testing.  For those with
PHP experience, we'll need to discern their skill level and assign
unpatched bugs as appropriate.

I'd like to work linearly through the bug list, taking out the old stuff
first, and working forward.  Hopefully you uber-coders will be
generating patches for the non-coders to test, so we should be able to
work in conjunction with one another at a reasonable pace.

> At what time is this business going to start?  I
> will likely be online Saturday AM EST.

I'm currently planning on being ready around 10 AM EDT.

--
skippy at skippy.net | http://skippy.net/

gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 9CFA4B35
506C F8BB 17AE 8A05 0B49  3544 476A 7DEC 9CFA 4B35