[wp-docs] Re: [wp-hackers] WordPress Bug Hunt

Owen Winkler ringmaster at midnightcircus.com
Wed Nov 2 15:12:18 GMT 2005

Scott Merrill wrote:

> I tweaked it a bit; I'll let this simmer through the morning, to allow
> for any additional edits anyone might feel are appropriate.  Around
> lunchtime EDT I plan to move this to a new page.

Do you think it would be beneficial to point at XAMPP?  There are people
who might be willing to help test but don't have the slightest clue how
to set up a server locally.  It might be worthwhile to have a document
explaining how to set up a local staging install of WP.

Heck, this should be part of the regular documentation, really.

My only question is whether this is the barrier to entry: "If you can't
set up your own local Apache, thanks, but we're looking for someone more
qualified."  Personally, I think that bug reporting from tyros is a good
thing, since only having developers/insiders looking at things tends to
leave holes.  If the barrier to entry is the ability to follow the XAMPP
installation instructions, we might get more reports from a novice user
perspective - a good thing.

And how did I get on the host list?  Not a problem, but someone might
have told me if I have such obligations.  Are you guys going to code and
manage incoming folks?  At what time is this business going to start?  I
will likely be online Saturday AM EST.

Owen