[wp-docs] Spammers

Peter Westwood peter.westwood at ftwr.co.uk
Wed Nov 2 08:58:35 GMT 2005

Hi All,

On Tue, November 1, 2005 10:37 pm, Peter Westwood wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> It seems we are heavily blessed by spammer(s) at the moment.
>
> Would it not be a good idea, if possible, to remove the ability to Move
> pages from normal users?
>
> This would reduce the amount of time taken to clear up these attacks -
> Page Moves take a lot more clearing up than malicous edits.

We've bit hit again twice today!

It looks like we can't remove move priviledges easily unless we go to
MediaWiki 1.5.

However you can Protect pages just from Move's which is what I have done
to some of the most recently hit ones.

If anyone has any trouble with pages that I have protected or needs any
help drop me a message on my Talk page or via email.

I'm at work atm and will check again in a few hours

cheers

westi
--
Peter Westwood