[wp-docs] Preparing for 1.5+

Carthik Sharma carthik at gmail.com
Thu Mar 24 05:29:31 GMT 2005

Lorelle,

I am with you in that we need a good changelog - which was so
difficult for 1.5 since there was so much that was new. It is possible
for 1.5.1 though, and you can start a new sub page of [[Changelog]] to
start building one.

As regards documenting how to use the various features, they need to
be done, one by one, or over a week of dedicated work. I never get to
the point where I can spare a bunch of hours to the Codex - though I
can spare a few minutes every now and then to reply to mails, check
edits etc. Please start on the pages if you'd like to, and do not
hesitate to create new pages. Managing the new pages is less difficult
that creating them from scratch ;)

Great work, Lorelle, you amaze me!

Carthik.

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 19:46:17 -0600, lorelle at cameraontheroad.com
<lorelle at cameraontheroad.com> wrote:
> After totally messing up a bunch of files in WordPress, AND wanting some
> plugins that are coming out now that say they work "best" in 1.5.1alpha, and
> ignoring all warnings that say "don't play in this sandbox unless you know
> what you are doing", I thought I'd risk it.
>
> My mouth is hanging open from just a couple minutes of use.  WOW.  I adore
> the new plugin color coding to show off activated plugins.  Very slick
> indeed.
>
> Now, thinking WAY ahead of the game, I'd like to start a thread in here,
> with maybe a private user page or something hidden deep in the Codex, that
> lists some of the topics that will need to be covered in the new release,
> whenever the new release comes.  Just thinking ahead.  Here are a few of the
> things I noticed right off that will NEED to be in the Codex and forum
> volunteers will need to be prepared, unless an update comes that "fixes" the
> issues.
>
> * Mention of the new color coding on the Plugins - Honestly - I am so
> thrilled with that feature!
>
> * Upon install, and after running UPGRADE, all plugins are deactivated.
> This has a couple of consequences:
>
>       ** Need to inform people that they should print out the plugins page
> before installing the new version so they can have a list of what they had
> activated or not activated.
>
>      ** Plugins which require tags, like custom posts, meta tags (keywords),
> and other manually inserted tags may choke when the user clicks "you're done
> now visit your site" from the Upgrade page.  The site will load and report
> errors on the first plugin tag it finds that isn't activated.  If this
> continues, maybe the "click here" button needs to go to the Login page with
> a recommendation to turn on any plugins....I'm not the tech, but this might
> have to be addressed in troubleshooting.  I freaked for a moment when the
> page came up with an error in the header and nothing else loaded from that
> point.  But I knew how to track it down.
>
>     ** Writing Options and been improved and the ability to control the size
> of the writing box is brilliant.  I was just going to look up all my admin
> hacks to start enforcing changes when I started writing this email and
> poking around look at changes - this is one big time saver for me!
>
>   ** This might be also with 1.5, but in poking around I just found out that
> ALL of the 500+ articles I imported into WP came in with me as author at
> level 1.  I saw the minus in front and thought, $%&*, they think I'm a minus
> 1 user.  How could I have screwed that up.  Since this new "me" is now the
> second user on the site, I searched for over 30 minutes to figure out that
> the minus isn't a condemnation of my user level but a BUTTON.  We need to
> make sure this info on how to change the user level is in the User Level
> page on the Codex, a current feature or one to come, I don't care.  Why
> [...]

When nothing is done, nothing is left undone -- 老子 Lǎozi

University of Central Florida
Homepage: http://carthik.net