[wp-docs] User accounts

Morgan Doocy morgan at doocy.net
Thu Mar 17 01:45:13 GMT 2005

On Mar 15, 2005, at 7:28 PM, <lorelle at cameraontheroad.com> wrote:
> Hotmail, as an example, keeps changing their policies from 90 days to
> 30 days to 10 days and who knows what it is now.  When they are
> closed, I have to sign in and come up with ANOTHER new password or
> dance the dance they want me to dance in order to participate again.
> It's very common in the online world.

Hotmail, and other free email providers, are quite a different story.
They are an absolute spammers' haven, and in order to keep disk space
in check, it's become necessary for them to implement usage
requirements. With the amount of spam they receive, they do have a
maintenance gain from pruning unused accounts: they reclaim disk space
used to store nothing but built-up spam. We would have no such gain in
eliminating unused accounts, so this is a very "apples-to-oranges"
comparison.

As for it being "very common in the online world," I've never had a
long-unused account of mine expire anywhere. Then again, I've never
used a free email account either.

Morgan