[wp-docs] Alternate vs. alternative

Jamie strunk at omitneedlesswords.com
Sat Mar 12 00:01:51 GMT 2005

> Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 08:29:20 -0500
> From: Carthik Sharma <carthik at gmail.com>

> "Alternate" is an adjective that means "That which is an alternative".
> You can feel free to look it up. I did, before I created the title,
> and Owen, it's not a verb - no one is talking about alternating
> between databases anymore that one's referring to going to the post
> office when one submit a new "post".
>
> Carthik.

Alternate: 1.) occurring by turns; succeeding each other; one and then
the other 2.) every other; every second 3. being one of two or more
choices; alternative

This is from Webster's New World College Dictionary Fourth Edition.
"Alternate" can indeed be used for "alternative," but it is not the best
choice for that purpose.