[wp-docs] IRC users list

Michael Renzmann wordpress at nospam.otaku42.de
Mon Jun 27 11:48:23 GMT 2005

Hi.

Ryan Duff wrote:
> Firstly to find out if Matt has registered
> #wordpress on freenode or not, currently it sounds like not.

You can find out easily using "/msg chanserv info <channel>". The result
for the three wordpress channels I know of:

#wordpress (is registered):
=== cut ===
-ChanServ-      Channel: #wordpress
-ChanServ-      Contact: photomatt, last seen: 21 weeks 6 days (6h 23m
48s) ago
-ChanServ-   Registered: 1 year 49 weeks 3 days (5h 4m 48s) ago
-ChanServ-        Topic: WordPress Blogging Software --
http://wordpress.org/ || Ask, unless it's about asking! || Happy 2005!
mugs.alexsmith.org, please send them in to pictures at alexsmith.org.
-ChanServ-        Email: m at wordpress.org
-ChanServ-  Contact URI: http://wordpress.org
-ChanServ-      Options: Secure, SecureOps
=== cut ===

#wordpress-docs (is registered):
=== cut ===
-ChanServ-      Channel: #wordpress-docs
-ChanServ-      Contact: shorty114 << ONLINE >>
-ChanServ-    Alternate: relle << ONLINE >>
-ChanServ-   Registered: 1 week 4 days (11h 16m 39s) ago
-ChanServ-        Topic: WordPress Documentation Channel | The Almighty
Codex: http://codex.wordpress.org/
-ChanServ-      Options: Verbose
=== cut ===

#wordpress-meetup (not registered):
=== cut ===
-ChanServ- The channel [#wordpress-meetup] is not registered
=== cut ===

> Secondly about cloaks, and thirdly about giving voice to users who
have been
> around a long while and are very familiar with wordpress. This would be
> an even more visual sign to users that "hey, +Skippy must be
> knowledgable, he's at the top of the list with a few other users.

Another thing that regulars should do: register your nicknames. This way
it's much harder for malicious guys/gals to grab the nickname of a
well-known wordpress affiliate, join #wordpress and saying bad things
there. It's easily possible to proof if someone has identified to the
Freenode network when s/he claimed to be the person that nickname
belongs to. Furthermore one can protect the own nickname from kidnapping.

If desired, I could help in case of questions regarding the registration
of nicknames on Freenode.

> We
> would have to nominate x amount of peopole for this and then ask them if
> they would like the responsibility. It'd be nice to have a list of ~10
> all the time. I know matt has been against ops/voice for a while, but I
> think it would help the project in terms of people being able to get
> support.

Having ops permanently online in the channel is "a bad thing [tm]". This
raises desires for becoming opped/voiced. Voice may be an alternative,
but IMO having voice only makes sense if there is a chance that the
channel becomes closed for non-voiced users. This in return would
require someone being available to have enough rights to change the
channel modes - which might or might not be the case at a time, but
always will depend on Matt (as the owner of the channel) to give the
necessary rights to anyone else.

An interesting read in this regard also is:
http://freenode.net/channel_guidelines.shtml

Bye, Mike