[wp-docs] IRC users list

Scott Merrill skippy at skippy.net
Mon Jun 27 10:27:50 GMT 2005

Michael Renzmann wrote:
> Hi.
>
> Ryan Duff wrote:
>
>>Ask the users, have users add their names, that way its their choice.
>>Delegate somebody who's in irc all the time to keep the page clean of
>>users who aren't often helping in irc or other such mediums. Instead of
>>editing a irc users page, how about creating a support page with a list
>>of people who can be trusted.
>

> One question, one proposal.
>
> Question: Isn't it enough to have wpbot knowing about people? If one is
> unsure, ask wpbot about the "definition" of the nickname in question. It
> would be easy to extend the definition with realnames, if people wish so.

Since the bots all allow other people to adjust your definition, I don't
think this is a very reliable option.  Also, what happens when a bot is
offline?

> The Freenode IRC network knows so called "groups", which are officially
> represented in Freenode with one or more channels. This could be a
> company, a user group, a "software project", ...
>
> One of the goodies provided to such groups is a "project cloak". A cloak
> is a virtual hostname which appears instead of the real hostname in a
> user's session.

Okay, so that explains the hostnames I've seen!  Thanks.

I think there's independent value in having a WordPress group on
Freenode, if for no other reason than to secure the #wordpress-*
channels.  But I don't think that hostname cloaks will provide much
reassurance to the average user looking for help.  Sure, some folks will
understand the signifigance, but not many.

Moreover, what criteria will be used to determine who gets a cloak, and
who doesn't?

--
skippy at skippy.net | http://skippy.net/

gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 9CFA4B35
506C F8BB 17AE 8A05 0B49  3544 476A 7DEC 9CFA 4B35