[wp-docs] Question for my WordPress hardening guide

Robert Deaton false.hopes at gmail.com
Mon Jun 20 23:32:03 GMT 2005

Really, for such a relatively small project and the nature of the software,
backporting patches to older versions has no clear benefit. It creates
problems for support people with having to support two majorly different
versions at the same time. And is there any true benefit to not upgrading?
Unlike some major projects, like the linux kernel, supporting two branches
is not worth it, because the upgrade path is not hard or time consuming.

On 6/20/05, David Eads <eads at invisibleinstitute.com> wrote:

> > If your hardening guide consists of telling people to upgrade to the
> > latest version, then that'd be great.
>
> Well, that's why I wanted to know if any older stable branches had
> backported patches and all. I didn't think there was anybody doing that,
> so in the draft I've written that there users should run the most current
> version available, absolutely no excuses.
>
> I do say that if someone had the time and resources to actually handle
> security upgrades for older stable WordPress branches, they could start
> such a project.
>
> The hardening guide has other advice (about passwords, encryption, file
> permissions, etc) and describes some common classes of attack that a
> WordPress user could face.
>
> David

--Robert Deaton
http://somethingunpredictable.com