[wp-docs] Nomenclature for WordPress interface

Matthew Thomas mpt at myrealbox.com
Thu Jun 2 11:40:09 GMT 2005

Some time ago Carthik asked me to come up with standard terms for parts
of WordPress's interface, for use in WordPress docs
<http://comox.textdrive.com/pipermail/wp-docs/2005-March/000170.html>.
Unfortunately I was buried in work at the time, and never replied.

However, now that I'm paying my tithe for this wonderful software (half
an hour copyediting the Codex per day), I've been reminded of this while
looking through the Codex pages on WordPress administration, which use
the term ... "SubPanel". They look like good docs, but the terminology
could use some work.

So, just as a suggestion, how about these.

WordPress control panel ("control panel" where the context is obvious)
     The combined set of administration pages. Example: "When logged in
     with an account of type X, you can delete comments directly from the
     article page where they're posted, or in the WordPress control
     panel. To delete them in the control panel, go to '''Manage'''
     &rarr; '''Comments'''."

Control panel menu ("menu" where the context is obvious)
     The navigation items in the control panel. Example: "Once you turn
     on this option, a new 'Uploads' item should appear in the control
     panel menu."

Page
     Any of the administration pages. Example: "On the '''Plugins'''
     &rarr; "Plugin Editor" page, click the plugin you want to edit.
     (Caveat: "The Write Page page" is a bit clumsy, but I think it's
     still better than "The Write Page SubPanel".)

Section
     A part of a page with its own box or group box. Example: "In the
     '''Manage''' &rarr; '''Categories''' page, find the "Add New
     Category" section."

Field
     A text entry control. Example: "The description you enter in the
     '''Description''' field will usually be displayed on your category
     archive page, if you have one."

If these terms don't seem very exciting or innovative, then good --
that's the idea. :-)

--
Matthew Thomas
http://mpt.net.nz/