[wp-docs] Screencasts

Matt Mullenweg m at mullenweg.com
Fri Jul 8 17:05:21 GMT 2005

Ryan Boren wrote:
> Ogg Theora.  GNOME is thinking about integrating a desktop session
> recorder that saves as Theora into its screen capture facility.  Prt Scr
> and make a movie.  Of course, most Windows and Mac users don't have
> Theora handy.  It is available to them, however.

To provide some context, currently 75% of people visiting wordpress.org
are on Windows, 16% on Mac, and about 8% Linux/FreeBSD/etc. Following
the 80/20 rule, and realizing that the Windows/Mac users are probably
less savvy than our Linux audience, we should probably use a format that
is most widely available on those two platforms.

http://www.cnet.com/ currently embeds videos in Flash and it's probably
one of the best video experiences I've seen online. I know this takes
some work but I don't know exactly what's involved but for displaying
the video I think it's definitely something we should research.

For recording the video, I think it's whatever works for the people who
are going to be doing it.

--
Matt Mullenweg
http://photomatt.net  | http://wordpress.org