[wp-docs] Drupal docs

Moshu moshu at transycan.net
Thu Jul 7 14:57:21 GMT 2005

I have to agree with Virgil.

The general (implicit) expectation for a manual - based on our
previous experiences - is a _linear_ outline. Even more so because our
general thinking pattern also follows this linear model. (Allegedly
since the Ancient Greeks the Western world went along this pattern...)
It has to have to go from a starting point (straight) toward the end
point:
start | ---> | ---> | ---> | end
The problem with the wiki format is that is absolutely contrary to
this expectation with its "bush-like" structure: from the main page
you can go everywhere following different branches but you never know
where you are!
I am pretty familiar with the wiki and especially the Codex; I use it
a lot for myself and also while helping in the forum. However if I
don't have an article bookmarked or I don't know its exact location, I
have frustrating difficulties to find and locate it... I can only
imagine how difficult it could be for someone browsing the Codex for
the first time.

Yes, yes, I know a lot of effort was put into making it more
organized, more structured, and I really appreciate all that work! (I
am not really known for my polite niceties, so take it as a genuine
compliment :)

The content of the Codex is a fantastic resource (except my
contributions ;). Too bad its structure doesn't even come close to the
quality of the content. I am aware it will not be changed any soon,
still I had to get this off my chest... <sigh>

Moshu