[wp-docs] Drupal docs

Lorelle VanFossen lorelle at cameraontheroad.com
Thu Jul 7 13:50:09 GMT 2005

I've spent a little time lately going through the Drupal Handbooks
examining how they do their documents layout.  I think we all need to
review a lot of other online manuals to keep a good perspective on what
the Codex has to offer. Remember, we are "promoting" the Codex as an
"online manual" not a wiki, and this raises the bar on quality.

The breadcrumb system that connects the categorized documents at the top
of the articles are nice, as are the clear changable menus on the left
of the articles. The idea of adding a PayPal or other form asking for
donations is also nice and something worth considering for the Codex.
Cheaper than buying the book. ;-)

The new addition of categories to the Codex begins the process of
connecting "breadcrumb" like navigation.

While some of the documentation is simple and clear, the usage of the
handbooks as a forum for dialog with comments within the documentation
adds clutter and opinions rather than facts.  I found that confusing and
tedious to read through.  People would tell their stories and make
excuses before getting to the point. The Codex works hard on eliminating
the "stories" and getting readers to the point as fast as possible,
keeping the manual feeling through much of the documentation. I think we
should stay on track with that.

I really like the blue tones against the white page but the two sidebar
add a lot of clutter. Viewed at 800x600, this page is a cluttered mass
and difficult to read. Even with my new 19" monitor at a high
resolution, the page still feels cluttered.  I think adding colors and
navigation boxes to the Codex in the future is good, but I seriously
recommen that we keep to a one sidebar look with the majority of
emphasis on the content not the clutter.

I think we should start a discussion about how different online manuals
look and work and begin to collect information and opinions on how to
improve the Codex. We now have a good body of work, but there are still
HUGE gaps in the documentation.  Per request from Matt and Carthik, I
put together a "comparison" of one blogging software's table of contents
against the Codex, which helped to generate a lot of the articles on the
Codex:Tasks list and this needs to be worked on some more:
http://codex.wordpress.org/User:Lorelle/Articles_Wanted

I also want to be clear, and speaking a little on behave of Carthik,
that we need to continue the emphasis on the content, and slowly work on
changing the look of the Codex. I think the best and possibly fastest
change to the Codex would be replacing the sunflower with a WordPress
logo of which there are some neat examples in the Codex Image Library
that would work temporarily, and making the CSS changes requested last
week of Matt.

What say you?