[wp-docs] New volunteer

lorelle at cameraontheroad.com lorelle at cameraontheroad.com
Fri Jul 1 12:14:52 GMT 2005

Matt, the Codex has had a list of things to do for a couple of months
now at http://codex.wordpress.org/Codex:Tasks.  On the list is a task
about changing the tags for all references to <code> to <tt>.

Reasons:

1. I was told a request was made to you a long time ago about changing
the CSS for <code> to have no blue background.  Nothing happened. I was
told that the decision was to change the <code> to <tt> in order to
remove the blue background when using code within a paragraph. This
could, at any time, be easily replaced with a SQL update if the decision
needed to be changed.

2. We found MANY instances of bad "code" layouts. People combining
assigning this simple task not only helped volunteers clean up the usage
of <code> it also helped to clean up irregular use of tags and code
structures in general. This helps to create a very solid and consistent
structure for usage, and cleans up the MANY validation errors found
throughout the Codex.

3. Most importantly, this was a minor task that invited beginners to
"get into the Codex". A lot of the complaints we had were that the
interface was scary, changing the wording was nervy, and "intimidation".
By giving volunteers simple, easy to do but specific tasks, they could
get over their fears slowly, learn how this all works, build up their
confidence, and basically get "hooked". As Carthik has been often known
to tell new volunteers on the Codex, once you get started, it becomes an
addicition. We needed to find some hooks to generate that addicition. ;-)

That's the reason.  It went on the list because I was told to put it
here a long time ago.  Now we have people who are helping, addicted, and
the Codex is looking better and more consistent than ever.