[wp-docs] The 1.2 conundrum

the absent student admin at inconsequentiality.com
Fri Feb 25 03:59:21 GMT 2005

James Huff wrote:

> Personally, I'd like to say the Codex remain v1.5-only.  As far as
> I've seen the answer to most v1.2 support requests recently has been
> "upgrade to v1.5".  And, v1.5 is a recommended upgrade for all users.

My own (fairly conservative) line is that nobody should be forced into
upgrading unless there is an actual security risk involved in continuing
to use their current version. There will be people who installed through
Fantastico, people who rely on plugins that haven't yet been upgraded,
and many, many people with an 'it ain't broke, why fix it?' attitude
towards their installation, who may not have a spare afternoon right now
in which to attend to an upgrade they don't think they need. If you take
a look at the Blogwise stats
(http://www.blogwise.com/stats/generators?full=wordpress) there are
still a handful of 0.72 and even 0.7 installs out there. Regular forum
posters are not typical Wordpress users, and outside that bubble
adoption of new releases takes time.

As for directing 1.2 users to the old wiki; how long are you planning to
run two documentation wikis concurrently? Don't you think this is more
confusing for users than if there were only one? I also doubt very much
that Codex _is_ 1.5-only; I found a couple of plugins listed there the
other day with no indication that they'd been maintained beyond 1.2.
Matthew's suggestion of labelling such material with the relevant
version number seems to me a sensible way of handling this, and
certainly far less confusing than having separate wikis.

The original question was whether the behaviour of template tags in 1.2
should be documented alongside the 1.5. version. My own answer to that
would be an unqualified 'yes'; if template functions have changed since
the last release then the documentation should tell us so.