[wp-docs] The 1.2 conundrum

Matthew Thomas mpt at myrealbox.com
Thu Feb 24 06:17:24 GMT 2005

On 23 Feb, 2005, at 9:59 PM, Matt Mullenweg wrote:
> I think it's more likely we've already overthought this. 1.5 is the
> here now, and the base on which everything will be built on for a
> while, and the documentation for it needs work. Let's worry about
> incompatible documentation when 2.0 comes out. (Eg, not anytime soon.)

      May 2003: WordPress 0.7
  October 2003: WordPress 0.72 (substantially different from 0.7)
  January 2004: WordPress 1.0 (substantially different from 0.72)
      May 2004: WordPress 1.2 (substantially different from 1.0)
February 2005: WordPress 1.5 (substantially different from 1.2)

I know WordPress development is going to be a bit slower from now on.
And I'm not suggesting that people write *new* stuff for outdated
WordPress versions. I'm just suggesting that people add boilerplate
version headers to pages they do write, so that you don't have to
demolish or abandon the wiki sometime in 2006. And again in 2007. And
again in 2008.

Fun comparisons:
*
http://search.info.apple.com/?
as_q=&as_epq=system+7&btnG=Search&docset=alldocs
*
http://www.google.com/search?q=%22windows%203.1%22%20site:
support.microsoft.com&num=100

--