[wp-docs] hyperlinking images to Codex

Lorelle VanFossen lorelle at cameraontheroad.com
Thu Aug 11 19:49:50 GMT 2005

I've deleted five images in the past two weeks as "inappropriate image
for the Codex". I've recently found out that these images are being used
as gravatars and signature links on chats all over the web. People post
these images where they can, and the openness of wikis is a prime
target, and then link from there to the chats where the image is viewed
as part of their messages and signature. This "hotlinking" then uses our
bandwidth and not theirs. The trend appears to be growing on the
WordPress Codex.

Setting up an anti-hotlink feature in the Codex's .htaccess could help
prevent this in the future, but until this is done, please keep an eye
out for such "inappropriate images" and either delete them or let one of
the admins know. In general, the images tend to not be "offensive", but
we need to keep on top of such inappropriate use since editors and
authors use the image galleries often to find images to add to their
articles and why clutter things up with pictures of angels, flowers, and
fairies dancing in the woods.

Thanks,