[wp-docs] codex page titles

Lorelle VanFossen lorelle at cameraontheroad.com
Wed Aug 10 14:25:19 GMT 2005

Titles in the Codex are very consistent in form, but in function they
are more complicated.

According to the guidelines for the Codex, titles follow the rules of
Title Case, so Template Hierarchy is that way, but The Loop in Action is
The_Loop_in_Action. http://codex.wordpress.org/Codex:Guidelines more
specifically: http://codex.wordpress.org/Codex:Guidelines#Titles. Now,
some of the older documents from when the Codex was new should all have
been changed to the proper title case, but some still get caught. If you
find one, then please let the docs team know so we can fix it right away
so all the titles are consistent.

Now, this is where it gets confusing.

If you are creating a link within the Codex to another page in the
Codex, you must use the EXACT upper and lower case structure of the
original file.  So [[the Loop in Action]] won't work.  Neither will
[[the loop in action]]. It has to be [[The Loop in Action]], usually
without the underlines though that will work, too, it's just ugly.
We've made some redirects for things like The_Loop, the_loop, and
The_loop to accommodate this.

 From outside of the Codex, any incoming link will work such as
http://codex.wordpress.org/The_loop_in_Action.  Case doesn't matter, it
will work.

Now, from the forum....we need to do some tests to see what works. If it
only uses the Mediawiki constraints for links within the Codex to
another Codex page, then we are stuck with the exact capitalization.  If
it works as though it is an external link, then it doesn't matter.  So
which is it?  Let's do some tests.

Miklb, do you want to do some tests on this? You can either test it in
practice, or on the thread that announced the links to the Codex and say
"this is a test of the links" and then post it so we can see the
results.  When we have the results and the Codex is fixed and able to be
edited (hopefully today or tomorrow), then we can write up a page that
helps volunteers and others understand how this really should work.

Thanks for bringing it to our attention.