[wp-docs] August Update on Codex

Lorelle VanFossen lorelle at cameraontheroad.com
Fri Aug 5 13:34:34 GMT 2005

With so much going on lately, and a lot happening in the meetup and via
the IRC chats on documentation, we've decided to release a monthly
"update" on what is going on with the Codex and to point out specific
tasks and issues that need to be known and discussed.

About 136 new articles have been added since June 4 and more are on the
way. A lot of work has gone into expanding the Codex by many volunteers
and new volunteers are coming in all the time. Volunteers are watching
the Recent Changes pages 24 hours a day, monitoring the Codex for spam
and link vandals, usually catching the vandals within minutes of the
attack. Thanks to all!

The connection between the Forum and the Codex is now very strong,
creating a solid base of information and resources. With the release of
the Jalenack's plugin (with great help from Ringmaster)
http://blog.jalenack.com/archives/codex-search-plugin/ which allows the
addition of a search bar to the WordPress admin panels for searching the
Codex and Forum while using WordPress, users can get access to the
information they need to solve their problems and help them build and
maintain their WordPress site easier. We need to promote the plugin to
help users "Search First". If you have been monitoring the Forum, you
may have noticed that the redundant simple questions are declining and
the more intermediate and advanced questions are rising. So they are
searching first, which is great.

With the development of the Support Forum volunteer mailing list
http://codex.wordpress.org/Support_Forum_Volunteers, volunteers will be
able to work together and learn from each other about how to better
provide ongoing support. Many of us also help on the forum, so we can
help volunteers learn more about the documentation available and learn
from them about what documentation is needed.

http://codex.wordpress.org/Function_Reference is slowly being expanded
and worked on to include all the functions in the core programming,
similar to Template Tags. Help is needed to add more subpages,
identifying functions and their features.

Keywords are slowly being added to the
http://codex.wordpress.org/Using_Themes/Theme_List so if you are a theme
author or you would like to volunteer to add keywords to various themes,
please pitch in.  A lot of theme authors list their themes and then
don't return for months, if ever, so all help is appreciated to get
keyword descriptions on these themes.

We are still having problems with new images displaying right on the
Codex, so hopefully that will be fixed soon, now that the database has
been moved to the new server.

There are many tasks on the task list that need doing, so please check
to see if there is something you can do.
http://codex.wordpress.org/Codex:Tasks If you signed up for a task and
are now unable to follow through on it, please remove your name so
someone else can take it on. If you see holes in the documentation that
are not listed on the Task List, please add them in their appropriate
category so we can encourage "filling of holes".

If you have an article on your user page, you will be contacted in the
next few weeks with a request to ready the article for moving out into
the main documentation. If you are unable to complete the article,
please let us know so we can have others pitch in to finish it.

The http://codex.wordpress.org/Codex:State_of_Codex lists administrative
issues and tasks that need to be discussed and dealt with.  Some of
these have been waiting for a decision or action. While no decision has
been officially made, it appears that the issue of dealing with version
1.5 and 1.6 will include the use of the version in the title and the use
of a template banner that states this applies to which version where
necessary. Other than user levels and administration panels, and updates
and inclusion of new template tags and functions, very little change to
the "how to" documentation is expected to occur.

Work is underway to "combine" the Codex and WordPress site so that when
a user clicks on "DOCS" they will be taken to the Codex.
http://codex.wordpress.org/User:RobLa/AuthPress_for_MediaWiki is part of
the process.  Basically, bbpress and mediawiki will be "intercombined".
User registration information will be shared between the two so your
user name and password will work on both systems. There are some bugs
and details that still need to be worked out. The "look" of the Codex
will take on the look of the Forum, with modifications on both ends. In
general, the merger and changes will "spruce the place up".

Thanks to everyone for all your hard work!