[wp-docs] Search Engines Grab Users

lorelle at cameraontheroad.com lorelle at cameraontheroad.com
Sat Apr 16 14:55:57 GMT 2005

I hear this "release early" garbage over and over, which I think is arrogant
and harmful.  Honestly.  Release early means putting stuff "out there" with
the potential to be very wrong, waiting for someone to pay attention to the
material and fix it.  Without the huge body of volunteers who are directed
and "motivated" to keep track of their areas and maintain timely inspections
and edits, an article can sit there for ages before someone pays attention
to it.

Combine this with the issue that I made this "whine" because I found my user
pages listed in Google in 2 days after posting.  They might have been
grabbed within MINUTES of my posting - I don't know, but if it made it in
the top 20 to my unrelated Google search, it was a FAST grab.  I had already
posted in this mailing list and in the discussion areas of the articles that
this information needed help desperately.  And now it was out as "fact" on
the web.

Can we reasonably expect volunteers to leap upon a document to correct it
within 24 hours of posting?  "Release early" is not even a realilty and
makes no sense.

Yet, I write this note with the assumption and expectation that the goal of
the WordPress Codex is to offer higher quality information and resources
than a free-for-all Wiki.  I thought that is why it isn't the WordPress Wiki
any more.

If the user's can't have a "protected" (whatever that means) area so they
can sandbox their ideas and work on them in order to maintain the intergrity
of the Codex, then we need to get more structured with
the Codex volunteers.  I recommend that volunteers "sign up" for specific
areas as "editors" to that area.  It can be based upon the different
sections on the Main Page, or subsections.  I can't image the person(s) in
charge of the plugins and themes would manage the whole "department" as
their task is neverending.  So the most "energy draining" areas should have
their own captains.  Either as a single editor or "team", they would work
out a way of consistently monitoring every new document that pops into their
area for accuracy and consistency.

I say this for a few reasons.  This is not a blame or blast at anyone, but
facts proving The Release Early Theory doesn't hold water.  The Wiki Weekend
was
highly promoted and then fell down totally.  I've posted links to articles
on this mailing list
that require specific help or general review and have seen little or no
evidence of any work on them, even when I know it needs a fix.  I have even
had to request more than twice before getting a response.  Without some form
of
organization, even free-form, things slip through the cracks.

Every volunteer organization, when it reaches the point that WordPress has,
must start delegating responsiblity and authority, often with titles, so
people know where to turn for help and guidance, as well as a good CYA
happens to make sure everything works right.

Again, this is not a condemnation but an encouragement to get our act
together, let some leaders rise to the top so they can, in turn, mentor the
up and comings folks, so they replace themselves and the process continues
on into the future with pride and authority.

As a long time editorial and technical writer, no matter how "perfect" my
work is, or how much they pay me, it goes through a process of review and
editing before it reaches the "public".  Much is done to make sure it is as
"right as possible" before release.  So this is standard operating
procedure, not some "let's control the Codex" issue.  If it means we
actually email the stuff to and from each other before it is released, fine.
If it means that it's posted on this mailing list for direct review....that
is also grabbed by search engines from the archives. If there is a secure
area for people to review and edit directly on the Codex, without fear of
errors getting into the public and giving WordPress a bad name...then let's
do that. Either way, to have the highest quality documentation we can get
from this awesome team of experienced and knowledgeable people who want only
the best and their best out there - something has to happen.