[wp-docs] Ditching the Theme List

lorelle at cameraontheroad.com lorelle at cameraontheroad.com
Sun Apr 3 10:29:19 GMT 2005

1. The posting you referred to is from someone I find offensive and
unhelpful in the forums and I avoid that person as much as possible.  The
trouble, inaccuracies, and spiteful nature of the posts in general makes my
blood boil, so I practice extreme patience and avoidance of this person.  I
would also not pay attention to anything said by this person for those
reasons.

2.  Volunteers, as you know, are working long hours to make sure that the
information on the Codex is as accurate as possible.  Since we are all
volunteers, things might not happen as fast as we'd like, but we are doing
our best and I think that steps to ensure quality control are high.  And
again, that person is speaking out of a hole where the sun don't shine as
far as I'm concerned.

3.  The work of constantly including themes in the Codex is brutal, and I
have been of the opinion that the thankless job of maintaining these is
horrific as they continue to expand.  I think that the other sites that have
cropped up are doing a fine job and the whole game of making the Codex the
"official holder of the theme list" isn't what the Codex is about, but I'm
not in charge, just offering an opinion.  The Codex, for me, is about
documentation and resources and if someone else is having fun and keeping up
a good list, then let them.  Or create a site dedicated to themes, as many
have done, and make that one official.

4.  Of all the things WordPress does, theme building is the one area where
there is no quality control.  While many take steps to ensure that their
themes validate cross browsers and meet web standards and do only good
things in them, they are up to the individual user and if WP starts getting
into the practice of saying "this one is approved" and having it screw up
later - where's the liability going to rest. These are use at your own risk
things. I think they are brilliant, but if the Codex is to remain the
official documentation, that word "official" carries a big stick.  Just
something to consider.

5. James, and others who have worked hard on maintaining plugins and themes,
a never ending job, you are appreciated.  Greatly.  I would hate to see your
labors be stopped because of the careless words of a careless person.  No
matter how hard your efforts have been, I'm glad you brought this up because
the Codex shouldn't be all things to all people.  It is documentation, as
far as I'm concerned, and information people can use, and if such lists are
better maintained elsewhere with links to them from the Codex, I gots no
problem with that.  And it isn't personal, it's just a matter of putting
energies where they are best needed.  No matter what the decision by the
majority or the powers that be, you and your work are sincerely appreciated.
We just have to look at the big picture.

6.  There is a lot of stress in the WP inner world right now, some of it
justified, some of it totally blown out of proportion, and I'm not liking
the repercussions I see everywhere.  People are taking things personally and
privately, making snap emotional decisions based upon little or no
information and a lot of rumor and conjecture.  Calmness, folks.  Remember
the reason you got involved in the first place and let the dust settled.  Do
good work, contribute what energies you have and help others to continue on
with your work - this should be the mission statement of everyone who gets
involved with volunteer efforts, period.  Do this for the fun and ignore the
mean-spirited idiots out there that don't understand the joy of
contribution.

Hang in there, and let's make this a positive discussion because it's
important to get it right and help everyone understand why.

My 2 cents.