[wp-design] Something to keep in mind when designing menu

Joen Asmussen joen at noscope.com
Fri Aug 5 10:12:54 GMT 2005

I just noticed something about the menu. I'd like to share it, as much
to let you others keep it in mind, as to remind myself once I get some
time to work on it again.

Once we design the primary / secondary navigation (which we've already
made some progress on), we should make sure that the secondary
navigation can WRAP! That is, if there are too many links/tabs on one
line, they wrap to the second line.

Basically, I was looking at my options page noticing some plugins now
appearing on that page. Since this is a killer feature (kudos Matt et.
al), I expect 50% of all future plugins to have options pages, not to
mention Michaels upcoming K2. No matter how much screen estate you have,
that means at one point it'll wrap.

Currently it doesn't wrap very nicely (See attached wrap.jpg), but
there's no reason why it shouldn't be able to.

This is just a mindbender for you fellow designers / CSS magicians to
think about when we ultimately do the menu.

One solution could be to have all primary links be tabs, with the active
one a different style. (See attached multiple_tabs.jpg)

The secondary navigation should then either all be tabs as well (not
recommendable, imho), or all individual links that have no relation to
the graphics beneath it.

Just something to keep in mind.
--

Joen Asmussen