[wp-accessibility] status of efforts to improve WordPress Accessibility

Jennifer Sutton jsuttondc at gmail.com
Thu Jun 16 11:03:31 UTC 2011

Hello:

I'm not sure whether this list is still active, but I thought I'd
post this message to see whether it might stir discussion and
generate interest.

I was very very pleased to see this post and the detailed and
thoughtful comments it generated:

http://make.wordpress.org/accessibility/

But we've heard little since then.

I thought others might either want to post additional comments and/or
we might be provided with an update. My guess is that it would be
ideal to post comments to the blog post, rather than to this list, so
that all comments will be consolidated there.

I'm  not a programmer, so I cannot contribute code, however, I am
most interested in improving access to WordPress, both in terms of
the front-end output, as well as to the administrative back-end.

I look forward to seeing progress.

As some may know, the Drupal community has been making very
impressive accessibility improvements, and it will be great to see
WordPress make similar strides.

This kind of work is increasingly important, and the time is right,
given the status of the Authoring Tool Accessibility Guidelines
(ATAG) from the W3C.  For details, see:

http://www.w3.org/TR/2011/WD-ATAG20-20110426/

Best,
Jennifer