[wp-accessibility] Twenty Ten

Jane Wells jane at automattic.com
Sun Sep 5 14:09:06 UTC 2010

  Hi Rich. It's great that you're taking initiative with this following
the wpdevel discussion, but for anything that touches UI (link color,
especially) it really needs to be coordinated with existing UI stuff. I
have asked for volunteers before to do a separate admin theme that
purely aimed at accessibility (much higher contrast, larger click
targets, etc) but didn't get much response. We're going to be doing a
CSS color sweep/cleanup in 3.1, so if you're changing link colors now,
it's likely your patch will get overwritten without malicious intention.

Also, I know it seems silly, but each change should really be it's on
patch. Better to have a patch of only a line or two that has a single
function, so that if something has to be reverted, all the other changes
don't get lost with it. Like in this example, if we needed to revert
link color changes b/c they weren't approved UI changes, but we didn't
want to lose newly-added labels or something, with it being one whole
patch there would be an issue.

Also, if you were just going through and adding under-the-hood things
for screen readers, etc., that would be fine to do independently, but it
appears you are actually changing design things--colors,
margins/padding, highlights--and these are not things that get changed
lightly. The theme designer (since it is 2010 you're working on now)
needs to be involved. Chances are he'd be fine with it, but actual
changes to the UI need to run by him for design approval. I'll email him
the ticket number you have listed below so he can weigh in and approve
or identify any reasons he had for doing it the way he did. When you get
to the admin, I would suggest working on an accessibility-specific admin
color scheme first (which we would add to the existing blue and gray)
rather than trying to patch the existing color schemes directly, as we
can (and want to) approve a separate scheme fairly quickly, but changing
the base UI for 20 million+ users is more political and takes longer.

If you intend to make changes that are visible in the UI, like adding
elements on the screen and changing colors, you really should join the
UI group and work through it there, so that your work doesn't get
rejected as being out of alignment with the existing UI conventions. The
UI group blog is at http://make.wordpress.org/ui and there are weekly
IRC meetings on Tuesdays at 2:30pm in irc.freenode.net #wordpress-ui.

Thanks,
Jane