[wp-accessibility] Let's get started on improving WordPress accessibility

Tynan Colin Beatty junsuijin at gmail.com
Fri Aug 7 04:42:46 UTC 2009

Let's see, since I'm jumping in here completely unaware of previous reports,
I'll get the ball rolling by bringing up one of the most glaring issues that
I've encountered:
Repetetive/non-descriptive link anchors need to be more descriptive and
unique. This applies to comment 'reply' links, 'read more' links, etc. The
current preferred technique is to place excess text into a span and then use
css to make that span 1 pixel and place it outside of the viewable screen
area as describe here:
http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/NOTE-WCAG20-TECHS-20081211/C7
I'm uncertain as to how this would affect the 'reply' situation, should
WordPress Trac ticket #10550 ( http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/10550 )
be resolved by changing the links to form inputs; but as it is now, this
particular case should be resolved by adding comment id #s into the hidden
similar.
'Read more' can be supplemented by titles. Any other repetetive / unclear
anchors should also be similarly supplemented to comply with this guideline.
Thoughts?