[theme-reviewers] Files and Folders structure

Justin Tadlock justin at justintadlock.com
Mon Jul 11 15:00:39 UTC 2011

There's nothing to prevent you from loading other CSS files.  That's
fine.  But, you still need to appropriately load the main style.css file
using the standard WordPress function.

Not using style.css can be problematic.  See, when you call
get_stylesheet_uri() in your header.php (like you would normally), the
"stylesheet_uri" filter hook is fired.  If your theme isn't using this
function, this hook is never executed and can break plugins.

For example, I have this "art direction" plugin (not currently in the
repo) that allows users to create post stylesheets.  It overwrites
style.css when viewing an single post.  If a user was using your theme
and it never allowed the "stylesheet_uri" hook to fire, users would say
my plugin was broken.

There are other examples of similar functionality.  The important thing
is that the hook is fired so that plugins can actually use it.