[buddypress-trac] [BuddyPress Trac] #9096: Data Loss Issue: Last Activity Deletion impact Member Directory and Friend List due to Repair member "last activity" data.

buddypress-trac noreply at wordpress.org
Fri Mar 22 08:51:56 UTC 2024

#9096: Data Loss Issue: Last Activity Deletion impact Member Directory and Friend
List due to Repair member "last activity" data.
--------------------------+---------------------
 Reporter:  vapvarun      |       Owner:  imath
     Type:  defect (bug)  |      Status:  closed
Changes (by imath):

 * status:  assigned => closed
 * resolution:   => fixed

Comment:

 In [changeset:"13776" 13776]:
 {{{
 #!CommitTicketReference repository="" revision="13776"
 Remove the tool to repair the members last activity tracker

 In version 2.0 we decided to stop using the `last_activity` user meta in
 favor of tracing this information as an activity type having the same
 name. Meaning we stopped inserting this user meta for new members or any
 member of a community if the first BuddyPress installed version is upper
 than 1.9.

 When upgrading from a version < 2.0 to the 2.0 version, the
 `bp_last_activity_migrate()` function is there to use the user meta to
 populate the activity table with corresponding `last_activity` activities.

 We also created a repair tool in case the above upgrade task failed. This
 tool became obsolete but we forgot to remove it. It's now very problematic
 if an Admin user uses this tool as it will delete all `last_activity`
 activities but will fail at finding users having the `last_activity` meta.

 To stop the spread, we decided to remove this tool during a minor release
 (12.4.0) as we felt it was an emergency.

 Props vapvarun

 Fixes #9096 (branch 12.0)
 }}}

--