[buddypress-trac] [BuddyPress Trac] #7091: Template Enhancement: On templates with loops (ie. groups/single/members) provide more context with messages on empty

buddypress-trac noreply at wordpress.org
Thu May 26 17:04:41 UTC 2016

#7091: Template Enhancement: On templates with loops (ie. groups/single/members)
provide more context with messages on empty
-----------------------------------------+------------------------------
 Reporter:  garrett-eclipse              |       Owner:
     Type:  enhancement                  |      Status:  new

Comment (by garrett-eclipse):

 Thanks @hnla, I greatly appreciate your input and am with you 100%.

 More granularity with the messaging would be very informative to the user.
 I've already made this change on one of my instances and tried to keep it
 to simply adding an alternate message without additional markup/elements
 introduced.

 As a developer that has modified template files keeping them up to date
 can be a headache and introducing consistent functionality over and over
 on new projects isn't worth it in most cases. If the default templates
 support these types of changes by default I'd be able to avoid requiring
 the modification making my life easier.

 Again thank you, and I fully agree with the priority and severity
 downgrade, this is definitely more of a nice to have than a need.

 Cheers

 Replying to [comment:1 hnla]:
 > I agree, improvements like this would be a good thing. Anything that
 takes a more considered view and then returns more helpful user info is a
 good thing.

 > I'll add a note to the new templates project to reference this ticket
 with a view to looking at this aspect for those templates where we are
 also able to extend this in more detail, on existing templates i.e bp-
 legacy templates we would be limited to simple string changes, like for
 like in case additional elements upset layouts.

 > A few observations:
 >
 > * Can we maybe extend this a bit further, maybe returning the failed
 search string for reference or similar detail

 > * To some extent aspects like this are ones that developers can and do
 extend via overloaded and modified template files.

 > * On a very speedy check I get quite inconsistent and erroneous results
 running checks on members names existing and non-existant so there needs
 to be some detailed checking here.

--
Ticket URL: <https://buddypress.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/7091#comment:2>