[buddypress-trac] [BuddyPress Trac] #6808: Group Invites Option persists even though disabled friending removes invites tab

buddypress-trac noreply at wordpress.org
Wed Jan 6 03:50:00 UTC 2016

#6808: Group Invites Option persists even though disabled friending removes
invites tab
---------------------------------+------------------------------
 Reporter:  modemlooper          |       Owner:
     Type:  defect (bug)         |      Status:  new
Changes (by boonebgorges):

 * keywords:  dev-feedback => needs-patch

Comment:

 I agree that the current reliance on the Friends component is pretty
 crummy. But:

 a) the Send Invites interface is pretty heavily dependent on autocomplete,
 and autocomplete performance breaks down quickly when working with lots of
 members. That's why BP_MESSAGES_AUTOCOMPLETE_ALL is turned off by default.
 (My plugin Invite Anyone enables autocomplete for all members.

 b) Turning on Send Invites and allowing autocomplete for all users is a
 potential vector for spam. It may be unwise to have it on by default.

 If we can find a way to mitigate these issues, or at least explain our way
 out of them :), I would be glad to change the default behavior to
 something more sensible.

 In the meantime, an off-by-default constant or filter like the one you've
 suggested would be fine.

--
Ticket URL: <https://buddypress.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/6808#comment:2>