[buddypress-trac] [BuddyPress Trac] #787: All profile field data becomes searchable links--is irrelevant for some data types

buddypress-trac noreply at wordpress.org
Tue Oct 27 17:25:50 UTC 2015

#787: All profile field data becomes searchable links--is irrelevant for some
data types
-------------------------------------+-----------------------------
 Reporter:  jeffsayre                |       Owner:  boonebgorges
     Type:  enhancement              |      Status:  assigned

Comment (by sooskriszta):

 Replying to [comment:8 sooskriszta]:
 > > However, there are cases where links are expected to behave
 differently, e.g. if I see a phone number linked ('''+3630/450-01-90''' on
 this profile), I expect there to be a {{{tel:}}} link behind it, not a
 link to search page for that telephone number
 http://csillamvilag.com/modellek/modell/?s=%2B3630%2F450-01-90
 > > The same would be true for emails (as a user, I'd expect
 {{{mailto:}}}) and URLs.
 > > Further, sometimes, the linking is just weird and annoying, such as
 (in the same profile) '''Célom'''. Just because something is between
 commas (or is in the beginning of a paragraph and has a comma after it),
 does not mean it should be automatically searchable.
 > > With this in mind, it seems best that the admin of the site should
 have control over which fields shall be clickable to a search results
 page.
 > > To start off, '''textarea type xprofile fields may be made non-
 clickable by default'''.

 Replying to [comment:10 boonebgorges]:
 > We should come up with intelligent defaults for each field type. Dates,
 for instance, should almost certainly be set to false (and actually, are
 already hardcoded as an exception in
 `xprofile_filter_link_profile_data()`). If someone could make a list of
 field types and make initial recommendations about default states, that
 would be helpful.

 This patch basically does the following:
 1. All multi fields (checboxes, dropdowns, multiselect, radio buttons) are
 linked by default
 2. All single fields (date selector, number, textbox, textarea, url) are
 not.

 Based on the use cases I am familiar with, that's the "intelligent" set of
 defaults I could come up with.

--
Ticket URL: <https://buddypress.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/787#comment:22>