[buddypress-trac] [BuddyPress Trac] #6646: Ensure the /groups/single-groups/members url renders regardless of activity component

buddypress-trac noreply at wordpress.org
Mon Oct 5 23:55:49 UTC 2015

#6646: Ensure the /groups/single-groups/members url renders regardless of activity
component
---------------------------------+-----------------------------
 Reporter:  jmarx75              |      Owner:
     Type:  defect (bug)         |     Status:  new
Component:  Component - Members  |    Version:  2.3.3
 Severity:  normal               |   Keywords:  has-patch
---------------------------------+-----------------------------
 One of the unfortunate side effects of #6388 is that if you deactivate the
 activity component, {{{ groups/single-group/members }}} ends up throwing a
 404. This is my first BuddyPress ticket, so it took me some time to figure
 out that these inner-group pages will not work unless they are placed in
 the groups nav. It appears there is a callback function for each page that
 fires when the user clicks the nav item. Example, when the user clicks the
 members link ('or if it exists in the nav already'), the {{{
 groups_screen_group_members()}}} function fires and takes care of loading
 in the member’s view. If 'members' does not exist in the nav, then that
 function never fires.

 My solution may be over simplistic so I am looking forward to feedback. I
 am hooking into the bp_template_redirect hook and loading that callback
 function if the current action is "members".  I realize this may be
 considered an edge case but I think the /members url should always work
 regardless of the status of the activity component or whether "members" is
 in the group nav or not. I feel like there would be the possibility of a
 community having an activity feed and deciding at some point to deactivate
 it. If that happens, then this side effect could potentially break a lot
 of users’ bookmarks.

--
Ticket URL: <https://buddypress.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/6646>