[buddypress-trac] [BuddyPress Trac] #6254: Chunk of Unicode text does not show any excerpt in BP activity stream at all

buddypress-trac noreply at wordpress.org
Wed Feb 25 01:05:08 UTC 2015

#6254: Chunk of Unicode text does not show any excerpt in BP activity stream at
all
-------------------------------+------------------------------
 Reporter:  rosyteddy          |       Owner:
     Type:  defect (bug)       |      Status:  new
Changes (by boonebgorges):

 * keywords:   => reporter-feedback

Comment:

 I can confirm the behavior, but I don't think this is really a bug, and
 I'm not sure it's specific to Unicode characters.

 Basically, what's happening is this. When an activity post has more than
 225 characters, BP will truncate it, and add `... [Read More]` at the end.
 The truncating function - `bp_create_excerpt()` - is smart enough not to
 split at the middle of a word. It will show as many whole words as will
 fit under the 225 character limit. But the text you've entered here has no
 spaces before 225 characters, so BP is interpreting it as one very long
 word, which won't fit under 225 characters. The same thing happens if you
 have a string of 300 `a`s or any other character.

 For this reason, I don't think it's a bug, but before closing the ticket I
 would like to know how you came across this. Were you just doing some
 testing, or did you find an actual situation where someone entered an
 unbroken 400 character string as an activity update? If I thought that
 there were real-life situations where this might happen, I'd be more
 inclined to try to find a "fix".

--
Ticket URL: <https://buddypress.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/6254#comment:1>