[buddypress-trac] [BuddyPress Trac] #5619: Allow user to edit WordPress Profile when the Extended Profiles component is disabled

buddypress-trac noreply at wordpress.org
Wed Jun 25 15:06:18 UTC 2014

#5619: Allow user to edit WordPress Profile when the Extended Profiles component
is disabled
-------------------------+------------------------------
 Reporter:  r-a-y        |       Owner:
     Type:  enhancement  |      Status:  new

Comment (by Azinfiro):

 > ...if these things are important enough to display when xprofile is
 turned off, then they're important enough to display when it's turned on.

 I don't see your point since they're already displayed exclusively when
 Extended Profiles is disabled so it has already been decided that they
 aren't.

 > The points being pressed by Azinfiro seem to be more general...

 I really don't think they are. I'm concerned with the petition put forward
 in this ticket to  enable editing the WordPress profile fields in the
 BuddyPress front-end. Nothing more.

 > Can you sketch the situations?

 When Extended Profiles is disabled the 'profile-wp' template you refer to
 is displayed and all WordPress profile options are accessible at either
 `members/username/profile/edit` or `members/username/settings`.

 When Extended Profiles is enabled the WordPress template is not displayed
 and all WordPress profile options are still accessible at either location.

 > ...I could be convinced otherwise with the right evidence.

 This request is a bit murky so you will have to be more specific.

 The user bio along with contact information is often displayed underneath
 posts. The number of [https://wordpress.org/plugins/tags/author-bio
 plugins offering this function] should be sufficient evidence that it's
 widely used, as are names and nicknames (I hopefully won't have to prove
 that).

 Jabber, aim, and yim are no longer supported in the back-end, so I won't
 argue for making these editable in BuddyPress.

 Distribution of the resources required to do this is obviously up to the
 developers, but I want to reiterate that bbPress already offers the option
 to edit the WordPress fields as well as display them.

--
Ticket URL: <https://buddypress.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/5619#comment:6>