[buddypress-trac] [BuddyPress Trac] #5619: Allow user to edit WordPress Profile when the Extended Profiles component is disabled

buddypress-trac noreply at wordpress.org
Tue Jun 24 11:04:05 UTC 2014

#5619: Allow user to edit WordPress Profile when the Extended Profiles component
is disabled
-------------------------+------------------------------
 Reporter:  r-a-y        |       Owner:
     Type:  enhancement  |      Status:  new

Comment (by Azinfiro):

 DjPaul and boonebgorges, can I ask you to reply directly to my arguments
 in the BuddyPress Support topic?

 >Maintaing two sets of profile field editing/updating code sounds a bit
 mad.

 The WordPress profile fields barely every see any updates so I disagree
 with this argument.

 >I'd rather know why someone would want to be able to use and display and
 edit WP profile fields...

 The WordPress profile fields are extensively used throughout various
 themes, e.g. post author bios, display names, real names. The few
 WordPress profile fields you have are quite reasonable and are not
 immediately replaceable by BuddyPress Extended Profiles fields (think
 display name selection).

 Finally, supporting WordPress profile fields would increase the
 independence of each BuddyPress module as you would no longer rely on the
 Extended Profiles module, thereby progressing towards a truer modular
 BuddyPress.

 As I started out by saying, I would very much like an on-point reply to
 these arguemnts along with the arguments in the corresponding BuddyPress
 Support thread.

 Thank you.

--
Ticket URL: <https://buddypress.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/5619#comment:4>