[buddypress-trac] [BuddyPress Trac] #787: All profile field data becomes searchable links--is irrelevant for some data types

buddypress-trac noreply at wordpress.org
Fri Jun 13 21:48:30 UTC 2014

#787: All profile field data becomes searchable links--is irrelevant for some
data types
-------------------------------------+------------------------------
 Reporter:  jeffsayre                |       Owner:  johnjamesjacoby
     Type:  enhancement              |      Status:  assigned

Comment (by DJPaul):

 Lots of interesting ideas. For 2.1, I suggest:

 * we add a simple checkbox to the xprofile field UI, along the lines of
 "link key phrases to profile search".
  * But store the actual option in xprofile meta as a negative option. e.g.
 'dont_link_to_search'.
  * Discoverability is v important and should remain the default in
 majority of cases, and as such, we don't want to store a lot of "yes"
 value for each field.
 * add a property to the field type class to set a default; allow searches
 on everything except date, number, url.
  * I don't think we should touch the other older field types because I
 could see arguments for setting the default both ways.

 This is a little off-topic, but I strongly think hashtags are something
 BuddyPress should implement soon, perhaps in 2.2, and I'd rather wait
 until we have that kind of robust system in place before we spend time
 adjusting the current linking logic and potentially upsetting people.

 If we're going to change that CSV-style linking, for example, rather than
 say "you have to write code to bring this behaviour back", I'd prefer to
 say to people, "now just use hashtags".

--
Ticket URL: <https://buddypress.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/787#comment:12>