[buddypress-trac] [BuddyPress Trac] #5389: Mark notifications as read when the item (blog post, private message thread and so on) is visited

buddypress-trac noreply at wordpress.org
Sat Feb 22 20:27:51 UTC 2014

#5389: Mark notifications as read when the item (blog post, private message thread
and so on) is visited
 Reporter:  henry.wright  |       Owner:
     Type:  enhancement   |      Status:  new

Comment (by boonebgorges):

 henry.wright - Good catch. You're correct that there'll be no way to clear
 this notification if the associated activity id is created.

 The underlying problem is that, from BP's point of view, @-mentions are
 inherently a property of *activity items*, not of source items like blog
 comments, forum posts, etc. If you don't have the activity component,
 putting an @-mention in a blog post will do nothing. It looks like we may
 have had this discussion before; see #4046.

 In the function you post above, the notification will simply fail to be
 marked as read if the activity item has been deleted. From my point of
 view, this is not a catastrophic failure - there are other ways to mark
 these notifications as read (manually, or by visiting your @-mentions
 page). Since it'll be fairly rare for this situation to come up (the
 activity item having been deleted), I'm OK with letting the failure happen
 and going with something like you've suggested above. (Until such time as
 we come up with a better system for @-mentions ;) )

--
Ticket URL: <https://buddypress.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/5389#comment:4>