[buddypress-trac] [BuddyPress Trac] #6064: Make existing Grunt tasks clearer, and improve the release packaging process.

buddypress-trac noreply at wordpress.org
Fri Dec 12 19:03:11 UTC 2014

#6064: Make existing Grunt tasks clearer, and improve the release packaging
process.
---------------------------+-----------------
 Reporter:  DJPaul         |      Owner:
     Type:  enhancement    |     Status:  new
Component:  Build Process  |    Version:
 Severity:  normal         |   Keywords:
---------------------------+-----------------
 A few times during this and the last release cycle, I've noticed that
 we've forgotten to run the pre-commit Grunt task. I also remember some
 confusion for one of the recent minor releases (I think); we thought
 "build-release" would produce a version of BuddyPress ready to be added to
 our distribution SVN -- but it doesn't (it includes a copy of bbPress 1,
 which we set up as a svn:external in our distribution SVN).

 I'm going to commit two changes to the Grunt tasks:

 1) Rename the build-* tasks to something shorter and more descriptive of
 what it affects.
 2) Add a new task that produces a version of BuddyPress ready to go into
 our distribution SVN.

 Making the build processes easier to understand and more helpful is
 something I think we have to continue iterating on, but I think these few
 simple renames will make things clearer, especially for new contributors
 to the project. And anything that saves us work when we do a release is a
 win, too.

--
Ticket URL: <https://buddypress.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/6064>