[buddypress-trac] [BuddyPress Trac] #5825: Improve routine for automatically recording existing blogs on existing BP installations

buddypress-trac noreply at wordpress.org
Wed Aug 20 14:38:50 UTC 2014

#5825: Improve routine for automatically recording existing blogs on existing BP
installations
--------------------------+-----------------
 Reporter:  boonebgorges  |      Owner:
     Type:  enhancement   |     Status:  new
Component:  Blogs         |    Version:
 Severity:  normal        |   Keywords:
--------------------------+-----------------
 If you have a BuddyPress installation where the Blogs component is not
 active, and then you activate it, you are left with empty Blogs component
 database tables. In the halcyon days of BP 1.5, we introduced a routine to
 check certain config issues - `bp_core_activation_notice()` - and part of
 this routine is to check for the situation where Blogs has just been
 activated, and to run `bp_blogs_record_existing_blogs()`.

 This is not ideal. It requires an extra database call on each admin
 pageload. And `bp_blogs_record_existing_blogs()` can be very resource-
 intensive on large Multisite networks. We should improve this function as
 well as the way it's invoked.

 Related: r8592 (where this part of the routine was removed), #5820 (noting
 that the removal of this part of the routine was causing problems), r8946
 (where it was reestablished for BP 2.1)

--
Ticket URL: <https://buddypress.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/5825>