[buddypress-trac] [BuddyPress Trac] #5589: Duplicated fields using Buddypress Xprofile Custom Fields Type and custom theme not from buddypress

buddypress-trac noreply at wordpress.org
Mon Apr 28 19:56:26 UTC 2014

#5589: Duplicated fields using Buddypress Xprofile Custom Fields Type and custom
theme not from buddypress
-------------------------------+--------------------
 Reporter:  atallos            |       Owner:
     Type:  defect (bug)       |      Status:  new

Comment (by DJPaul):

 The previous fix for the admin that we've obliquely referred to was r8232
 for #5511. Miguel's plugin hooks to the
 `bp_custom_profile_edit_fields_pre_visibility` action, so this bug occurs
 on the registration and user profile/edit templates.

 * Not sure about using an IF like I did in r8232 to handle this, because
 we'll cut off the `bp_custom_profile_edit_fields_pre_visibility` action
 for however else it's being used by other plugins and themes.
 * Making `bp_xprofile_create_field_type()` return a textbox as a fallback
 was a decision made for future compatibility (i.e. a custom profile field
 type plugin, registered in the 2.0 way, some fields/data created, and then
 the plugin being removed).
  * I don't know if reality held up in the same way.
  * Implementing the aforementioned IF technique would skip this intention
 (probably the fix in r8232 already does this, but at least it had a unique
 action it could call).
 * Maybe creating a new fake profile type (registered correctly in
 `bp_xprofile_get_field_types()`, etc) and having that call relevant
 actions for backwards compatibility would have been a better solution, but
 I wouldn't want to look into this for a minor point release.

 Not sure best way forward. Maybe just the IF solution for 2.0.1, and
 revisit the more robust technique for 2.1?

--
Ticket URL: <https://buddypress.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/5589#comment:7>