[buddypress-trac] [BuddyPress Trac] #5562: Disabling threaded comments in the admin does not affect activity stream comments

buddypress-trac noreply at wordpress.org
Fri Apr 18 18:47:10 UTC 2014

#5562: Disabling threaded comments in the admin does not affect activity stream
comments
--------------------------+------------------
 Reporter:  pollyplummer  |       Owner:

Comment (by boonebgorges):

 Cool, that makes it easier. I guess the concern would be for existing
 sites that have manually disabled comment threading - they'd suddenly see
 activity comments disabled after upgrade. Is there something we can do in
 terms of UX - either at upgrade time, or somewhere in the UI - that might
 serve to indicate the reason why activity replies have been disabled?

 I guess I'm particularly concerned about this change because it seems much
 less transparent than numerical comment depth. If I set my WP comment
 depth to 2 when I set up my blog, and the later install BP and see that
 comment depth is only 2 deep (or rather, became 2 deep after upgrading to
 2.0), this is probably not a very jarring experience. However, if I
 disable threading altogether in WP (again, a long time ago, for unrelated
 reasons - like maybe my theme didn't handle it right), and then find later
 than an entire feature is entirely missing from BP, I'd be very confused.

 Maybe I'm overthinking? Feedback welcome.

--
Ticket URL: <https://buddypress.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/5562#comment:5>