[buddypress-trac] [BuddyPress] #5210: Using DISTINCT in the select statement when retrieving activity data slows down the query

buddypress-trac noreply at wordpress.org
Mon Oct 28 13:26:11 UTC 2013

#5210: Using DISTINCT in the select statement when retrieving activity data slows
down the query
-------------------------------+--------------------
 Reporter:  kwerri             |       Owner:
     Type:  enhancement        |      Status:  new
Changes (by boonebgorges):

 * priority:  normal => high
 * severity:  normal => major
 * milestone:  Awaiting Review => 2.0

Comment:

 Thanks very much for the feedback, kwern. As I suspected, the real issue
 here is not so much the DISTINCT + ORDER BY (there's not much we can do to
 avoid this), but the fact that our query is not optimized in other ways.
 As we did in the case of users and `BP_User_Query` (and as WP did with
 `WP_Query`), we should split our query into two parts: one that fetches
 activity IDs, and another that separately fetches data about the located
 items. This will allow our table indexes to function properly.

 I've been wanting to do something like this for a while, and your ticket
 is a good impetus to work on it for 2.0.

--
Ticket URL: <https://buddypress.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/5210#comment:6>