[buddypress-trac] [BuddyPress] #5259: Single notifications are deleted instead of being marked as read for plugins

buddypress-trac noreply at wordpress.org
Wed Nov 27 18:21:54 UTC 2013

#5259: Single notifications are deleted instead of being marked as read for
plugins
---------------------------+------------------
 Reporter:  henrywright    |       Owner:
     Type:  defect (bug)   |      Status:  new

Comment (by r-a-y):

 > I'd rather we keep existing functionalities intact than have functions
 named _delete_ that don't delete.

 I'm fine with this.  But we do need to educate plugin developers so a post
 on bpdevel will be needed.

 However, I'm not so fond of the introduction of wrapper functions
 (`bp_core_mark_notifications_by_X()`) in order to use them throughout our
 own components and not utilizing the new bp-notifications functions
 (`bp_notifications_mark_notifications_by_X()`) that were specifically
 written.

 I understand this was done because the notifications component can be
 turned off, but both sets of functions were introduced in 1.9 and both do
 the same thing.  This also confuses those looking at the codebase.

 This is probably worth discussing in another ticket, but my patch is a
 step in decoupling notifications from all BP components, which, in my
 opinion, is what we should be doing.

 My ideas for an iterative patch include further separation:

 * Moving all `bp_core_add_notification()` calls to bp-notifications and
 switching them out for `bp_notifications_add_notification()`
 * Organizing the temporary code in bp-notifications-actions.php to bp-
 notifications-activity.php, bp-notifications-groups.php, etc.
 * Deprecating most of the code in bp-members-notifications.php.

--
Ticket URL: <https://buddypress.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/5259#comment:6>