[buddypress-trac] [BuddyPress] #3715: [Read more] doesn't appear for long group forum activity posts unlike regular activity updates

buddypress-trac at lists.automattic.com buddypress-trac at lists.automattic.com
Thu Nov 24 04:50:50 UTC 2011

#3715: [Read more] doesn't appear for long group forum activity posts unlike
regular activity updates
-------------------------+-----------------------
 Reporter:  peeld        |       Owner:
     Type:  enhancement  |      Status:  assigned
Changes (by boonebgorges):

 * type:  defect (bug) => enhancement

Comment:

 The activity stream currently plays two different roles:
 1) a place where people can leave status updates
 2) a place where activity from all over the site is summarized

 For role (1), we allow updates to be as long as necessary; thus the [Read
 More] treatment. For role (2), though, we have always had the policy of
 only recording excerpts in the activity item. Duplicating the entire item
 seems kinda wasteful.

 Two possible alternatives:
  (a) what if, instead of [...], truncated forum posts/blog posts got a
 [Read More] link just like the activity stream, but instead of doing some
 ajax fetching, it took you straight to the forum post?
  (b) Another option: [Read More] on a forum/blog activity item will make
 an ajax request to get the full content of the item (not from the activity
 table - where we would continue to keep excerpts - but from wherever the
 original is kept) and then display it inline, in the activity stream?

 Option (b) would be pretty slick, but I'm not sure if there would be
 scaling issues, especially in the case of blog posts. Thoughts?

--
Ticket URL: <https://buddypress.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/3715#comment:4>