[buddypress-trac] [BuddyPress] #2293: Hidden groups activity shows in friends > activity screen of non group members

buddypress-trac at lists.automattic.com buddypress-trac at lists.automattic.com
Fri Apr 16 17:55:43 UTC 2010

#2293: Hidden groups activity shows in friends > activity screen of non group
members
----------------------+-----------------------------------------------------
 Reporter:  hnla      |       Owner:
     Type:  defect    |      Status:  new
Component:  Core      |    Keywords:  has-patch, needs-testing
----------------------+-----------------------------------------------------

Comment(by boonebgorges):

 hnla - That's because hide_sitewide is used in a couple different ways
 that don't seem entirely related (IMHO). For example: If Alice invites
 Admin to be friends, an activity item is created on the activity stream of
 both Alice and Admin. However, Admin's activity item is marked
 hide_sitewide, with the justification that "we've already got the first
 entry sitewide". In other words, hide_sitewide is used here to prevent
 duplicates in the sitewide stream. That means that, in the case you
 describe, Admin must have asked Alice to become friends - if it had been
 the other way around, then it would have shown up in Bob's friends stream.
 I don't think this will apply to very many different kinds of activity
 item, FWIW.

 In contrast to this case, hide_sitewide is used elsewhere to hide things
 that are in hidden and private groups. That's what I mean when I say that
 the use of hide_sitewide is a bit inconsistent. It'd be nice in the long
 run to have different pieces of data play these roles. Probably qualifies
 as an enhancement request.

--
Ticket URL: <http://trac.buddypress.org/ticket/2293#comment:10>